One of the concerning trends of the modern world is that one in four kids face neurodevelopmental disorders. Because of the complexities of their symptoms, these disorders are difficult to diagnose. This results in misdiagnosis or no diagnosis at all, which can be even worse.
Many neurodevelopmental disorders are sensory processing disorders. The nervous systems of children with these disorders struggle to receive and respond appropriately to sensory information. Children with these disorders often have delayed development, improper responses to tasks, difficulty focusing or sitting still, forgetfulness, tantrums, colic, digestion issues, asthma, allergies, and more.
One of the most common neurodevelopmental disorders is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). A child with ADHD is often overstimulated. This causes exhaustion. As a defense mechanism, the body overworks the musculoskeletal system. This results in such symptoms as attention difficulties, hyperactivity, and impulsiveness.
How Does a Chiropractor Help Kids with Neurodevelopmental Disorders?
Chiropractors are professionals who can identify and address nervous system disorders in kids. Often, misalignments in the spine can significantly affect the nervous system of a child. They can have an impact on sensation perception, processing, and bodily responses. This is where chiropractors can really help. We can correct these issues, which will help our patients’ nervous systems to process information more efficiently.
Chiropractic adjustments cannot be considered a direct treatment for neurodevelopmental disorders. However, there are ways in how chiropractic care can assist kids with these issues:
- Reduced stress. Pediatric chiropractic care helps children with ADHD manage their stress levels better. This, in turn, has a positive impact on their behavior and attention.
- Better sleep schedule. Many children with neurodevelopmental disorders struggle with sleep issues. Chiropractic adjustments help improve sleep quality by promoting relaxation and reducing discomfort.
- Regulation of the nervous system. As mentioned above, gentle chiropractic adjustments remove any misalignments in the spine that may be interfering with the function of the nervous system.
- Lifestyle advice and recommendations. Chiropractors also provide lifestyle recommendations to support overall health and well-being. This may include guidance on nutrition, exercises, and stress management techniques. This all helps manage the symptoms of neurodevelopmental disorders.
- Collaboration with other specialists. Chiropractic physicians also work with other healthcare providers, who are involved in the treatment of neurodevelopmental disorders.
Are you a parent of a child with a neurodevelopmental disorder living in Brooklyn, NY?
Are you searching for a clinic specializing in the chiropractic care of such disorders as ADHD, Autism spectrum disorder, and others? If you’re looking for a chiropractor near you, Dyker Heights Family Chiropractor is ready to assist you. We offer comprehensive chiropractic care to patients of all ages and with various health issues. To learn more, or if you are ready to schedule an appointment, contact us today.