What to Do About Your Herniated Disc After a Car Accident?
At Dyker Heights Family Chiropractor in Brooklyn, NY, our team sees many people come in with auto accident injuries. One of the most stubborn and potentially debilitating complaints are herniated discs. Bulging discs cause a lot of discomfort in the short term. If left untreated, these types of injuries can have a long term impact on the quality of your life. The good news is that chiropractic care can help.
Auto Accidents and Spinal Damage
During a collision, the body is put under sudden and severe stress. If your body hasn’t anticipated the forces, it may not stabilize itself. Your spine, which is a complex structure made of stacked vertebrae, can get thrown out of alignment. Damage in this area can affect the functioning of the rest of your body.
What Are Herniated Discs?
A disc-shaped cushion sits between each bone in your spine. This tissue has a very soft interior core and a tough, rubbery exterior. If that rubbery layer is damaged, some of the soft inner core can push out through the tear. When this important cushion is compromised, the nerves in the area become irritated and painful problems result.
Herniated Disc Symptoms
Pain, weakness, and irritating sensations are the most common symptoms of a herniated or bulging disc. More specifically, you may experience:
- Pain that radiates from the back along the arms and legs.
- Numbness and discomfort along one side of the body (or in some cases both sides).
- Pain that worsens after activities like standing, sitting, or sleeping.
- Muscle weakness when you have no other conditions that might explain this issue.
- Pain after walking or doing certain movements such as lifting something heavy.
- Tingling or burning along the injured area of the back.
Our chiropractor will diagnose this condition by discussing your medical history, examining your posture and movement pattern, and possibly looking at an X-ray or other image of your spine.
Chiropractic care may use a variety of techniques to get you comfortable, mobile, and able to return to your daily life. These could include:
- Gentle chiropractic adjustments, to realign your vertebrae so your disc can return to the proper place.
- Spinal decompression, which relieves pressure on the nerves of the back.
- Massage techniques, to soothe muscles and deep tissues that have knotted up after the injury.
- Counseling and exercises that may strengthen your back and restore mobility.
Fight Back Against Bulging Discs With Our Team
Dyker Heights Family Chiropractor is one of Brooklyn’s top providers of chiropractic care. We can help you achieve short term pain relief and long term recovery from your herniated discs. Give our team a call at (718) 837-0048 and we’ll get you on the road to healing.